The Soul Cravings Prequel has been a helpful tool for many of us in opening doors to spiritual conversations. It has given us entry points to identify with people who like us, have desires for intimacy, meaning and destiny. So what is your experience with "witness" in Abbotsford? This is a forum to share thoughts, stories and questions.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Too Many Friends

“I don’t need any more friends.” This is a statement that not only have I heard multiple times but also resonates in my own life. It is something I began reflecting on in the post “Walking in it” and have continued to reflect on. The question is: “What does evangelism cost?” After considering my own life and also talking to others I am convinced that most of us are too busy to commit extra time to evangelism. So can some of our existing time be transformed, redeemed and more intentionally outward focused? Do we have to say “no” to some “good” things or relationships in our lives in order to make ourselves available for new relationships? A friend of mine recently talked about evangelism as being faithful in the small things: the smile, the greeting, the conversation, the question… I appreciated his perspective and admit that I can sometimes create an overwhelming picture of evangelism that is so daunting I am unable to even begin. But I would add to his description the need to be open for more. It is only of slight value if you greet someone but won’t talk with them, if you will talk but will not offer contact information, if you will meet for coffee but not in your home. If at the same moment you begin a relationship you are ensuring its end, this does little to further the gospel. However, relationships do start with smiles, greetings and small talk – so let us be faithful in the small things and be open to where God might lead.

Update: I have not been very faithful in walking my neighbourhood regularly but I have walked it more often. Last week I walked around the field with a Punjabi neighbour, he didn’t speak English very well and I don’t speak Punjabi so we just walked. Despite, the lack of conversation it was a pleasant walk and I found significance in the human ability to connect even without words. I am still looking for a venue or activity to attend or participate regularly in order to make myself available for those who need relationship.

No comments: