The Soul Cravings Prequel has been a helpful tool for many of us in opening doors to spiritual conversations. It has given us entry points to identify with people who like us, have desires for intimacy, meaning and destiny. So what is your experience with "witness" in Abbotsford? This is a forum to share thoughts, stories and questions.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Local vs. International

Is evangelism easier overseas? I feel like it is… I am significantly more comfortable speaking to strangers when on a short term missions trip. So what’s different? I am more focused and more available. For two weeks or whatever length the trip is, virtually 100% of my time is available for whatever need may arise or for whoever may request my time or offer theirs. For two weeks my only responsibility is to love people and seek God, I don’t have to figure out rent or juggle two part time jobs, homework, TV, video games or whatever other responsibilities and activities back home distract and consume my time. Furthermore, the only people I know are working with me. We are part of a team and there is a single focus. At home, I am part of two families, multiple groups of friends, church, work etc. There is little cohesive sense of team at all in my life and certainly not with an eye to outreach. On a trip I am given a role which contributes to a larger vision, at home I struggle to define or see a larger vision which encompasses all of my life and relationships. Where is my missions team at home? What is our mission?

No comments: